Sunday, November 24, 2013

Family Day

It's Sunday morning. Normally, at this very moment on a Sunday morning, Ellie would be in her Sunday School class and Grant and I would be in Bible study.

The thing is, last night I went to bed at 8pm. Yes. EIGHT. I've been feeling less than great. We all slept great last night, but when we woke up to go to church, I still wasn't feeling great and Ellie has had 3 dirty diapers since she woke up. It's not even 10am. Our morning was not going well so we declared it Family Day.

Family Day happens every few months. I kind of love it. We all stay home together all day. We take it slow, while also crossing all sorts of things off the to-do list. Lots of cleaning and organizing. By the end of the day we have a cleaned out fridge, all the laundry is done and put away, and the countertops are sparkling clean. The only thing we may do out of the house is a quick trip to the grocery store. Either we all go together or Grant and Ellie go by themselves while I stay home and cross a project off the to-do list. For some reason, I just feel like we get more accomplished when we are all in it together.

I guess "we" doesn't really include Ellie. She usually sits on the kitchen floor and plays with tupperware and wooden spoons. We all have our own little contributions to Family Day.

One of my favorite things to do on Family Day is to walk around my house with a trash bag and throw things away. Receipts, wrappers, junk mail.. whatever... things are just lying around that don't need to be there and I've been avoiding them for some unknown reason.

I just love knowing that when I go to bed tonight, everything will be in its place and we can enjoy our Thanksgiving week without feeling like our lives are in a mess. Aside from all that, it's reaaalllyy cold here right now and so we get to stay inside in our warm pajamas and I'm gonna make grilled cheeses for lunch and it's just gonna be a good day.

Maybe I'll be able to convince Grant that since it'll be awhile before we have another Family Day... maybe we go ahead and decorate for Christmas? One can hope....

No comments: