So I was very excited that last night was Dolly night on American Idol. I think Dolly Parton has an amazing voice, LOVE HER!
Also, I think that Dolly is kinda like a cartoon character. You know those movies that start off in animation and then they come to "real life"? I think Dolly is like that. A cartoon character in human form. A blond Betty Boop perhaps!
Immediately, when I saw that it was Dolly night, I said out loud "PLEASE someone sing Jolene!". I wanted to hear the following songs:
1. "Jolene"- Brooke sang this and rocked it. She is very sunshine-y. I proceeded to sing this song for the rest of the evening and even a little bit this morning. Grant begged me to stop. I begged Jolene not to take my man. Please don't take him just because you can.
2. "I Will Always Love You"- Syesha sang this (of course) and did pretty well. I was grateful she didn't do the Whitney version entirely. I love Whitney, but that is Dolly's song. Do you know what musical that song is from? The person who knows the answer to this question gets a prize! And no, you can't google it.
3. "Smoky Mountain Memories"- David Archuleta can SING. End of story.
4. "Hard Candy Christmas"- NO ONE SANG THIS SONG! I understand that it isn't Christmas and the song is kinda ridiculous ("Me, I'll be just fine and dandy, oh it's like a Hard Candy Christmas".....strange lyrics) but I was really looking forward to singing along. I wanted to pack up a suitcase and walk through a field singing "I'm barely getting through tomorrow, but I won't let sorrow keep me waaaay dowwwwn". (If you've seen the movie, you'll understand that little scene I just described).
5. "Here You Come Again"- although I am not a big Carly fan, I think she sang this song well. I wanted to jump through the screen and slap Simon across the face though for telling her she looked bad. I mean, I am not a big fan of the super skinny jean but still, that was mean and unnecessary.
I liked that Dolly was wearing a little tiara-like thingy in her hair during her whole interview section. I mean, why shouldn't she wear a crown? She is Dolly Parton!
I wish I could count how many times Grant asked me last night "How do you know so many Dolly Parton songs?!?"
Paula said "True to who you are" in some variation a total of 13 times last night. (Note: there are only nine contestants).
Favorite Paula/Simon moment:
Paula: "You are adorable, you are fun, you are true to who you are, You are Brooke White".
Simon: "Yes, she is".
My prediction for the bottom 3: Syesha, Ramiele, and perhaps barefoot Kristy Lee, mainly cause when Dolly told her that her Mama would be proud, Kristy said that she'd rather impress Dolly. RUDE! Respect your mama!
Thoughts? Comments? Opinions? What Dolly song would YOU have sung?